Wednesday, October 15, 2014

George Lucas Museum of Narrative Art

Swashbuckle Dom by Dominick Saponaro Featured on the George Lucas Museum of Narrative Art Website.



As I am sure is the case with many artists and genre illustrators of my generation the work of George Lucas such as Star Wars and Indiana Jones has had a profound impact on my life and a substantial influence on my art.

So, As you can imagine, when I received the following message…

"Mr. Lucas saw your piece 'Swashbuckle Dom' in the publication EXPOSÉ 10, and thought it would be an excellent example of digital illustration to showcase..."

I was stunned to say the least.

It was an email from the manager of the Lucas Research Library at Lucasfilm's Skywalker Ranch requesting to use my painting “Swashbuckle Dom” on the Lucas Museum of Narrative Arts website.

The Lucas Museum of Narrative Art is a non-profit organization for arts and cinema education founded by George Lucas. The Museum is currently in its planning stages, and is proposed to open in Chicago in 2018. They are using the website as a way to inform the public about the Museum and kinds of work that will be showcased there.

The Lucas Museum of Narrative Art will feature artwork from the Golden Age of Illustration, landmark achievements in filmmaking and cinematic design, and groundbreaking digital art.

I am thrilled to be a part. Not only because a childhood hero and major influence took notice of my work but because of the actual museum itself. I have been following its development from the initial press release and the vision of collected works looks to be downright amazing. I can not wait for its opening and am thrilled to be associated with such an awesome mecca of historical illustration, cinema, and art!

You can check out my work in the featured Digital Art section here.




No comments:

Post a Comment