Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Imagine FX Expose... Traditional!?




April 2013 Issue




Every month Imagine FX features an artist in the FXPose section of their magazine. They have both a traditional & digital showcase. Back in their April issue I was fortunate enough to be featured in... traditional!

"Traditional you say. That's an outrage! Who do you think you're fooling?!"

Hmmm... so what happened here? I'm not sure if someone actually thought my work was executed traditionally or if their criteria for the showcase is a little more open. It's hard to tell but I think it was probably the later. Maybe they just look for work that has a traditional feel to it without actually worrying too much about what medium was used.

Either way it was a welcome surprise and I was honored.

While I'm certainly not out to fool anyone as to the medium I use, I do put ALOT of effort into giving my digital paintings a traditional oil painting look and feel. After all, I worked in oils for many years, most of my influences have or do work in oils, and for the love of god I just cant take another super digital lens flare! :-) 

If your not familiar with Imagine FX head on out and grab yourself a copy. Every month features some of the best workshops and interviews with artists from the science fiction, fantasy, gaming, and comic disciplines. It really is a great resource for beginner and seasoned artists alike. Also of note, the iPad version of the magazine is outstanding. While being identical to the print version in every way, it also has just enough interactivity with galleries, videos, and slideshows without trying to reinvent the whole magazine format for a tablet experience. Download the app here and subscribe today. You can also get past issues such as the April 2013 issue from above.

So... who out there thought I worked traditionally? Comment below.






1 comment:

  1. Dom, your work is so amazing. I remember the first time I viewed your piece at IMC...how strong the composition was. You deserve the recognition you are currently receiving.

    ReplyDelete